But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.”

Luke 18: 16

Trinity Kids provides spiritual guidance, education, & community for children from infancy through 5th grade. For Preschool through 5th grade, the “contemplative model”; of children’s ministry is used to provide the framework for learning about the stories of the Bible, with a focus back to the gospel & salvation of Jesus Christ. Lessons and discussions are hands-on, reflective, and open-ended. Please contact Julia Guy (julia@trinityanglicanmission.org) with any questions or to learn more about Godly Play and the contemplative model.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Jesus Appears to the Disciples & Asks Peter to Follow Him (April 28th)

Season of the Church Year: Easter (white)
Story in Scripture: John 21: 1-13

After Jesus’s death and resurrection, his disciples waited anxiously and wondered what would become of them. But they gathered together and were hopeful. One afternoon, they were fishing and found that their efforts were unsuccessful. All night, they tossed their nets into the sea and brought them out empty. In the morning light, a man appears on the shore and suggests that they put their nets down on the other side of the boat- at which point the nets fill to the breaking point and the disciples realize that the man is Jesus. Peter jumps in to the water and rushes to Jesus’ side and the others bring in the hefty net of fish. Later, Peter and Jesus spend time alone and Peter has the opportunity to reconcile with Jesus since his betrayal on the night of Jesus’ death. Three times, Peter denied Jesus that night. On the shore that day, three times, he tells Jesus that he loves him. In class today, your child’s teacher helped them to consider what is must have been like for Peter in those days as he thought about what he had done. We’ve all had the sinking feeling that we have made a wrong move, or sinned in a way we never thought we would. Our discussion this morning helped the students to think about what they can do to reconcile with God- to acknowledge their sin, pray for forgiveness, and make better choices in the future. Peter’s experience is our experience. We all sin. We all mess up. But God loves and forgives us, just as Jesus loves and forgave Peter.

Guiding Questions for Discussion:
Now I wonder why the men decided to go fishing?
I wonder what they were talking about while they were fishing?
I wonder how they feel, fishing all night and catching nothing?
I wonder how the person on the beach knows where the fish are?
I wonder how the disciples know that the person on the beach is really Jesus?
I wonder what Jesus and the disciples said to each other while they were eating?
I wonder what the disciples will do, know that they have talked to Jesus again?
I wonder how Peter felt, being with Jesus and talking to him?
I wonder how Peter feels when Jesus asks him, “Do you love me?”
I wonder how Peter feels about Jesus now?
I wonder what will happen when he follows Jesus?

Prayer:
“Dear God, thank you for the story of Jesus and his friends. Thank you for Peter and the way that he was forgiven and reminded that you love him. Help me to come to you, no matter what I may have done or what mistakes I might have made. I am so glad that you love me no matter what! Amen.”






No comments:

Post a Comment